This was not a good week. Not at all. Granted, there were great things mixed in with the bad, but to ignore the bad parts wouldn’t be doing them justice. This photo has nothing to do with either, but it’s pretty darn cute.
I think there needs to be balance in life. A lot of hours pass by in seven days, and every one of those hours has the opportunity to bring joy or sorrow. We must grasp the joy when we get the chance, and accept the sorrow when it comes. There’s my deep thought for the day.
Here are a few articles that caught my eye amidst the chaos this week.
- I haven’t read the book or seen the movie, but this post about The Help makes me want to buy a movie ticket tonight. And I don’t even like movie theatres.
- I’m giving my friend, Shelly, the spotlight today (and next week) because well, she daily lives out things that I only talk about. On top of that, she’s a beautiful friend. Her post this week highlights a heartbreaking story about her neighbors and the challenges of being a missionary surrounded by poverty.
- God bless Stanley Hauerwas. How I have managed to not read anything of his until this article, I don’t know. This summer brought up many theological thoughts and questions for me. I’ve voiced them in conversations with friends, and was trying to figure out a way to say exactly what Hauerwas writes about in this article. According to the dates on the comments, this could be a re-post, but who cares. I think he’s spot on and wish I could have written it myself. Death of America’s God by Stanley Hauerwas.
- Read the article Shelly wrote, and chase it with this one. Let’s think about what’s going on in the world as you read these words. This article highlights the suffering in two very different countries: Somalia v. London. The difference between a first and a third world problem.
- I try each week to show you a range and balance of posts and articles. What would you like to see more of? Less of? Let me know in the comments otherwise I’ll just keep posting as I please!
- Submit your photos for the week in review here. See the guidelines here.
Next week on the blog*:
Monday – Guest post: Rachelle Miller
Wednesday – What Does It Mean When You Look At Me Like That?
Friday – Week in Review
*Subject to change. I’m not a fortune-teller!